This blog is a tribute to Belle, and all the dogs who have come before and after. They are my friends, my companions, my teachers and my students. They bring me both joy and heartache, laughter and tears. There is nothing as sweet as the smell of puppy breathe, and nothing as sad as the final goodbye.


Thursday, May 5, 2022

How to greet a dog.

Most dogs don’t like to be pet on their head by strangers. Instead, if you want to say hello and you’ve asked their guardian, say hello verbally and allow the dog to choose if they want to be pet.
If they come closer for a sniff, leave your hand at your side. Allow them to sniff and initiate a  pet, then pet their side behind their shoulders and stop. If they want more, they’ll let you know.
Consent is important for dogs, too.
This is especially important to teach to your kids.
Written by Michele Longueira, Michele's Pet Sitting 
 



No comments: