This blog is a tribute to Belle, and all the dogs who have come before and after. They are my friends, my companions, my teachers and my students. They bring me both joy and heartache, laughter and tears. There is nothing as sweet as the smell of puppy breathe, and nothing as sad as the final goodbye.


Monday, November 11, 2013

Sergeant Stubby



Sergeant Stubby (1916 or 1917 – April 4, 1926), was the most decorated war dog of World War I

and the only dog to be promoted to sergeant through combat. America's first war dog,
Stubby served for 18 months and Sergeant Stubby participated in seventeen battles on the Western Front.

He was just another stray dog before he found his way into an area near Yale University
where the 102nd infantry, Yankee Division was training for World War I. Private J. Robert Conroy found the puppy there in 1917 and named him. He was smart and boosted morale.
He learned the bugle calls, the drills and even a modified salute where he put his right paw on his right eyebrow.

Stubby became a lifetime member of the American Legion and later became Georgetown University's mascot.

Much thanks to Nitro Foundation HB 70 Law in Ohio for this posting


No comments: